Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2017-09-21 Origin:Site
Most of us are not that familiar with large-format printers. That is because we do not typically find large-format printers in homes. They are specialized printers used for special purposes, such as in engineering, in art and photography, in advertising, in manufacturing and in other fields. They are also not called large-format printers for nothing – some models can occupy the entire space of a single room.
But just because you do not usually see large-format printers in a home or in a place where printers are used, it does not mean that they are not needed. There are many companies that use these big printers almost on a daily basis for their operations.
So who needs large-format printers? Anyone who requires really large prints would find these printers necessary, but here is a short list of them.
1. Advertising agencies
Many advertising agencies need large-format printers to create presentations for their clients. They would use it to create samples for advertising campaigns that they can show their clients.
2. Art and photography studios
Today, art has made a marriage of convenience with technology and it is a marriage that looks to be staying for good. Works of art are now being created using computers. Large-scale art made with computers or at least scanned would naturally need big printers.
Museums are not just places where works of art, science and culture are displayed. A lot of academic work also happens behind the scenes. The scholars working at the museums cannot definitely use an original piece to work with in whatever research or study they are doing. Would you doodle on the Mona Lisa? So instead, they recreate these works of art with large-format printers.
Gone are the old days when visual aids used in the classrooms are created using wide-tip markers and a big sheet of Manila paper. New technologies are now used in teaching kids these days and it is now necessary to create stunning teaching aids with the help of big printers.
5. Real estate firms
Real estate firms need to keep the properties they are selling up for display wherever they station themselves. These displays attract customers, sometimes enough for them to snap on a property. Some firms find it cost-effective to own the printer instead of outsourcing it to a print shop.
6. The military
The military has done away with paper maps and instead print them on fabric using large-format printers. These textile maps are more durable, easier to work with, and do not get easily torn or damaged by creases.
7. Law firms
Even law firms need large-format printers. Pictures paint a thousand words and lawyers may need big and pretty pictures when they try to convince a jury with graphic evidence to win a case.
There are many reasons why different companies need large-format printers. They are truly special printers for a special purpose, which is why specialized companies need them. But who knows; with the growing versatility of printers these days, it is not impossible to find a large-format printer in the home in the future.
Wide Format Printers for Special Uses
Wide format printers may be considered one of the great innovations of the digital printing industry. After all, such machines have made it possible to produce huge, even gigantic prints without suffering any loss in terms of picture quality and color accuracy. However, wide format printers are specialized printers. They are not the type of printers to be found in households in general. Instead, they are more typically found in offices that have a need for it, in studios and in commercial printing shops.
When we speak of wide format printers, we refer to those printing machines that produce prints ranging from a width of 17 inches to a hundred inches. Any machine that prints wider than that range is called a super-wide format printer. Usually, a wide format printer makes use of a roll of paper or textile rather than sheets to do its job.
Exactly what printing needs do wide format printers serve? Below is a list of the general uses of a wide format printer.
- Party banners. Party planners and events coordinators always opt for professional-looking banners to decorate the venues for their parties and events. Party banners made using wide format printers are produced much faster and are more economical than other commercial printing processes. But such is not limited to party planners and events coordinators. Even people who host parties in the privacy of their own homes opt for party banners made with wide format printers because they are prettier.
- Promotional banners and signage. Promotional banners and signage are more often more attractive and appealing when created using wide format printers. They are also more durable to the elements.
- Engineering and architectural plans. The plans produced by engineering and architectural firms need to be detailed, and printing them the regular way would not cut it. These firms use wide format printers to produce their plans, drawings and diagrams.
- Education. Wide format printers are sometimes used to print out visual aids in lectures and educational programs. Materials printed for this purpose often include maps and copies of valuable art. There are museums that make use of wide format printers to produce copies of the art objects and artifacts in their keeping and use them on traveling lectures. It is much better than transporting the original pieces all the time.
- Graphic design. Graphic design artists often use wide format printers to create samples of their work, especially when they are put on display for presentations, exhibitions and such.
- Interior design and decoration. There are people who can get creative with how they decorate their house with the use of wide format printers. Some print their own posters and wall hangings using fabric that is friendly with wide format printers. People who cannot afford buying real art can make do with copies made using wide format printers and display them at home.
Wide format printers are printers that are commonly found only in offices and in printing shops. Their uses are special.
This Article is written by John C Arkin.